Premium Blackface Mod Kits for Your Silverface Fender Amplifier
You will truly be amazed at how much better your silverface Fender will sound after completing the blackface mod. It will have more depth, touch sensitivity, and a full, rich sound loaded with beautiful harmonic overtones.
These kits include:
All of the electrical components, diagrams & written directions you need to perform a full blackface conversion on your silverface Fender amplifier. Most other blackface instructions & articles out there overlook many of the smaller details.
Going beyond the blackface mod, these kits also balance and optimize your output section using measured & matched carbon comp resistors.
*tools, solder & wire NOT included
What is a blackface mod kit?
You’ve all heard the term “blackfacing”. To put it simply, “blackfacing” means that you convert the circuit of a silverface Fender amp back to blackface specs. These blackface specs were the designs used by Fender from 1963 – 1967, and are widely considered to be the best sounding amps ever made. The term “blackface” comes from the amp’s black control panel with white lettering.
A few years after CBS bought Fender in 1965, they started changing the circuits in an attempt to give them more clean headroom and make the amps cheaper to produce. Unfortunately, these changes were not for the better.
Blackfacing is a relatively simple procedure, requiring the removal of some parts, the replacement of others, and the relocation of a few wires. This can be done by any competent tech or do-it-yourselfer. These changes make a HUGE difference in the tone and touch sensitivity of your amp. This is a recommended procedure on most silverface Fenders.
These kits also include:
- Complete, detailed, easy to follow instructions with “before & after” diagrams are included.
- Copies of the original blackface Fender schematic & layout diagram for your amp are included (when available, not available for all amp models). These are invaluable tools for reference & learning about your amp!
- Complete instructions for removing the master volume & push/pull gain boost are included.
- Only the highest quality Sprague Atom electrolytic capacitors are included in this kit.
- Only the highest quality carbon comp resistors are used in the signal path. Flameproof 1W metal oxide resistors are used for the high voltage applications in the power supply & bias supply. Instructions for reading color codes on resistors included.
- Certain resistors, vital to optimum performance of the driver & phase inverter have been measured & matched by tolerance percentage.
You are getting a custom matched set for your output section! This ensures maximum efficiency, optimum performance and the best possible tone from your Fender!The tolerance normally associated with resistors makes it almost impossible to find matched sets unless you have hundreds & hundreds to choose from & the time to sort through them all.
I have taken readings on literally thousands of resistors and spent countless hours putting these matched sets together. Why? Because matched sets sound SO MUCH better than unmatched! Other kits on the market today do not take the time to provide this important service.
- The necessary resistors & detailed instructions on how to properly set the bias of your newly blackfaced amp (using only a multimeter & calculator) are included.
These kits are designed for the “standard” Fender silverface amplifiers. If your amp is “ultralinear”, these kits are not intended for your amp. Fender converted most of their “larger” amps mid 1977.
You can tell if your amp is ultralinear by looking under the speaker jack on the back panel. ALL 70 watt & 135 watt models are ultralinear!!